Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water / water drops in the DS-500 without rain ?!

Next Steps...

Clean old grease

Clean rubber and lens

Open with new grease

Close with new grease

Last pictures...

Grease - you see it, but it doesn't bother me

Grease (but only from side) - without negative affectation

Cheers and best greetings from wintry Germany!

I test my DS-500 after lunch... must go to town^^

Well done, my work functioned. I did a heck of a job^^ After 1,5 hours outside (-8°C) no water or waterdrops inside my DS-500. @ Stephen: Thank you again !!! You re so great

-----> DS-500 RULEZ <-----

Have a nice evening, your satisfied customer!
    Last edited by shark_attack; 12-08-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shark_attack View Post
    Well done, my work functioned. I did a heck of a job^^ After 1,5 hours outside (-8°C) no water or waterdrops inside my DS-500. @ Stephen: Thank you again !!! You re so great

-----> DS-500 RULEZ <-----

Have a nice evening, your satisfied customer!
    Good job Bjoern! You're definitely sealed up NOW! As long as you did get some extra grease around the edge of that elliptical lens, then I suspect you should never have to take it apart again. I have noticed that the black oxide on some of the screws that I use to hold the lid down is not as uniform as I would have liked, and so you might take a Q-tip and just put a fine film of grease around the head of the screws to prevent any rust down the road. Keep us updated with any new developments. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Hey Stephen,

thanks for your tip. I had a little bit rust on the mounting system, but its from cateye. So, its not your fault^^

Wish you a happy Christmastime!

Quote Originally Posted by shark_attack View Post
    Hey Stephen,

thanks for your tip. I had a little bit rust on the mounting system, but its from cateye. So, its not your fault^^

Wish you a happy Christmastime!
    Yes, it's hard to avoid a little surface rust on those black oxide screws. Just a very small amount of penetrating oil (WD-40, etc.) will help.

Yes, it's hard to avoid a little surface rust on those black oxide screws. Just a very small amount of penetrating oil (WD-40, etc.) will help.
    Yes, you re right... WD-40 is the best multifunctional oil for the bikes in winter months and all other parts! And its cheap^^

Cheers!

Hey Bjoern,
    Just wanted to followup with one more question. Just to be sure, you did open the metal lid (four screws) and apply some grease around the o-ring under the lid, right? It's entirely possible that you never had any leakage around the lenses, but that you just had a very small amount get past the lid o-ring and cause the condensation, especially if you were running it under a stream of water for cleaning. In any case, once you add a heavier layer of grease on the lid o-ring, then you should really and truly be water tight. Originally, I simply did not apply enough grease on that lid o-ring to take care of any small surface imperfections on the under side of the lid. So if you hadn't already, be sure and hit that interface with some grease when you get a chance. (Careful not to over-tighten those small screws when re-installing or pinch the switch wires).
    Thanks!

Hey Stephen,

i ve pictures for you, where i use grease for DS-500 parts...

Grease on the cover, over, under and around the black O-ring and complete lens with the two small white O-rings (the big lens, not the two small lenses) inside...

Please look at my pictures:

Hope thats right?!